ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Splitting up optional.jar
Date Thu, 18 Jul 2002 15:08:17 GMT
On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, <costinm@covalent.net> wrote:

>> > So I think all dependency, version, etc should go to MANIFEST.
>>
>> Could live with that, but would prefer to have all information in a
>> single place.
>
> We can store all the info in the XML, and generate the MANIFEST
> and properties out of it.
>
> But I want to be sure the standard is used so we can interoperate
> with other tools, and that 'simple things are simple' - for
> most people MANIFEST and ant.properties should be simple enough.

Keep the single source as part of the .jar as well - and make Ant use
this single source instead of the scattered information.  Generate
information that can be used by other tools as well - or Ant 1.5 in
the case of properties files.

OK?

> If we stop making the distinction between task and types ( i.e allow
> tasks at top level ) there is no need for 2 properties files, if
> something extends Task or has execute() it is a task, if not type.

Sometimes you may want to use something that has an execute method as
a type.  Manifest has been such a case until recently.

Stefan