ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] target-less build files
Date Mon, 22 Jul 2002 08:09:39 GMT
On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Aaron Siri <asiri@printcafe.com> wrote:

> 1. Do people want a build system or a scripting language?

I don't think this is the real question here, but your point that it
pushes Ant into the scripty direction is taken.

> 2. I don't buy the "removing the target requirement makes it easier
> for newbies" argument.

"... for newbies with simple build requirements"

> Targets aren't too difficult to figure out

Sure.

> and are one of the basic constructs within a build system

Not necessarily IMHO.

Do you need an explicit target if there really only is one?  I see
target-less build files like a make file that only defines ALL (and
think it would be easier if I don't even have to define that).

> 3. Finally, maybe I missed something, but I don't see any problems
> these suggestions are solving.

There are a lot of tasks that should be allowed at the top-level with
the same right <property> is allowed there.  What we want to solve is
the "why is <property> allowed, but <condition> is not" type of
questions together with cleaning up Ant in that we don't have
hard-wired names for tasks that are allowed to be at the top level.

Stefan