ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 1.1 compat ( was Re: Death of a mutant ...
Date Fri, 12 Jul 2002 13:18:41 GMT
On Fri, 12 Jul 2002, Peter Donald <peter@apache.org> wrote:

> In Ant1.x you could run target X fine. However if you tried to run Y
> it would generate a
>
> "Error: nonexistant/file.txt does not exist!" (or similar)

I assume you really wanted to use a fileset pointing to a non-existant
dir, because:

Y:
     [echo] x=/tmp/nonexistant/file.txt

is the result for 1.5 ;-).

> You have to decide when the list of files is evaluated. Is it when
> declared, when it is first used or everytime it is referenced?  In
> ANt1.x it is kinda haphazard (first time referenced unless it does
> not have any propertys to expand in which case it is declaration)

Huh?

The list of files is evaluated every time getDirectoryScanner is
called, that means it gets reevaluated for each task.  There is no
relation to property expansion anywhere.

Stefan