ant-dev mailing list archives

From cost...@covalent.net
Subject Re: Embed Sandbox Proposal: HOWTO?
Date Fri, 26 Jul 2002 14:42:53 GMT
On Fri, 26 Jul 2002, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Unfortunately, I'm used to the original ProjectHelper, and looking at
> the "embed" code I find mysel disoriented.
>
> - What are all the new features it supports?

- top level tasks
- uses SAX2
- stateless handlers ( i.e. all 'state' is in AntContext, all handlers
are singletons ).
- automatically replaces ProjectHelper using the discovery ( i.e. just
place ant-sax2.jar in lib, and ProjectHelper2 will be used )
- uses PropertyInterceptor ( if any registered ) before looking in the
properties hashtable
- import via Import task
- <systemPath> allows you to add dynamically a <path> to ant/lib
( like junit.jar ) and make optional tasks work with this one.

> - Basically, how does it work?

Just like the old one :-) I just did a bit of refactoring to
make it stateless ( no for performance, but because I think it
is much easier to have access to the whole state - including
element stack, file stack, etc )

> - How to use it in buildfiles - ie please add example buildfiles

What do you mean ?

So far it builds the same files as gump ( i.e. with ProjectHelper2
I build the same set of projects as normal ant ).

I'll add a sample for import and systemPath, and soon a BSF and JXPath
hook.

> - What needs to be done to /finish/ it?

>From my point of view ProjectHelper2 it's almost done, just minor
cleanups, samples/docs and that's it. I don't expect much change to
the code.

The dynamic properties are 'plugged' by regular tasks - and
import is also a regular task, etc.

I am trying to elminate the special treatment of DataTypes/Tasks -
there is some complexity there that I feel can be eliminated, but
not sure how to do it without braking something.

> I really would love to be able to use the hinted Xpath-capable XMLProperty.

Give me few more days for this one.

Costin