ant-dev mailing list archives

From cost...@covalent.net
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/helper ProjectHelperImpl.java
Date Wed, 24 Jul 2002 16:48:36 GMT

What Stefan said is perfectly true - his point ( if I understand
corectly ) was that the top level tasks will be executed:
- on -projecthelp
- if an invalid command is given ( like a wrong target name ).

In both cases the 'expected' behavior is to list the targets
and report an error, not to execute the top level tasks
( you may have a <javac> there ).

But I think what we should fix is -projecthelp and make clear
that whatever is at top level will be executed after the
xml file is read, regardless of the target name to be executed.

( in particular the target may be from an <imported> file ).

And we should recommend that only 'initialization' tasks
should be at top level - however I don't think we should
enforce this too strongly, toplevel tasks is a valid
use case and we shouldn't let '-projecthelp' drive the
semantics of the build.xml file.

Costin