ant-dev mailing list archives

From cost...@covalent.net
Subject Re: Vetoes are void? was Re: [VOTE] target-less build files - counting results
Date Wed, 24 Jul 2002 16:43:25 GMT
On Wed, 24 Jul 2002, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Listen guys, if we follow the analogy with Java classes, what Peter says
> make perfect sense.
>
> Having targetless buildfiles is like having methodless classes with only
> a static part... I don't know if it's possible in java, but who would
> ever use it?

Nicola, this is not about 'if what Peter says makes sense' - it
is about what the majority of ant commiters thinks.

And it is about how decisions are made - by one person (or 2) or
by majority.

You have a very valid point with <init>, and if a majority of
ant commiters share this view, that'll be how ant will work,
even if I don't agree and vote -1.

I voted -1 on removing tasks from the top level, yet a majority
at that time decided to remove them and they were removed.

Now, based on what we've learned - we have a pretty strong majority
who things tasks should be allowed - and again that's what should
happen even if few people disagree.

Please make distinction about the validity of a point and the
decision-making process we should follow.

Costin