ant-dev mailing list archives

From cost...@covalent.net
Subject Re: what I want to see in the next version of ant
Date Mon, 22 Jul 2002 22:40:44 GMT
On Mon, 22 Jul 2002, Diane Holt wrote:

> --- costinm@covalent.net wrote:
> > Any change requires a majority of votes. If a majority of ant commiters
> > believe that building on machines that have only JDK1.1 is not as
> > important as using new features in jdk1.2 - than I see no reasons not
> > to change it in 1.6.
>
> But there is a reason -- we agreed (at some point, many moons ago) that
> anything called Ant1.x would be JDK1.1-compatible (BTW: I did mean that
> the first time around, and shouldn't have written it JDK1.x), and once we
> decided to break with that, we'd call it 2.0.

And we can agree at any point that the circumstances changed and
JDK1.1 is no longer a big enough issue. Most platforms have
java2 ( either Sun or Kaffe/GCJ ), fewer people use 1.1

Every decision can be reconsidered if the circumstances change or
if we figure that it is not longer the best choice.

Top-level tasks were voted down few years ago, and now it seems
we'll have a majority to change that old vote.

Costin