ant-dev mailing list archives

From cost...@covalent.net
Subject Re: Backwards compatability?
Date Mon, 22 Jul 2002 01:27:50 GMT
On Sun, 21 Jul 2002, Bruce Atherton wrote:

> I think Peter's complaint about constantly revamping his build files nicely
> illustrates why the incremental approach to change that you are advocating
> is the wrong one here. I think we should make as many changes at once as we
> can see are needed so that users aren't continually suffering compatibility
> breaks.

And what makes you think that after ant2 there will be no change and it'll
be the perfect system ? I know absolutely _nothing_ in the computer world
where this happened.

In general when you make 'as many changes at once' it's is very likely
some will be wrong and need to be changed later.

> I'm confused by your last clause, though. If "the main goal should be to
> preserve backward compatibility", then why would the situation arise that
> "there's no way to keep backward compat"? The goal you have defined has cut
> that option off, hasn't it? Are you saying that there ARE goals that are
> more important than backwards compatibility?

My mistake - what I meant is: "one of my main goals will be to preserve
reasonable backward compatibility".

There are many important goals - and I think most of them can be achieved
without braking backward compat.

Costin