ant-dev mailing list archives

From cost...@covalent.net
Subject RE: [VOTE] target-less build files
Date Fri, 19 Jul 2002 17:48:30 GMT
On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Aaron Siri wrote:

> 1. Do people want a build system or a scripting language?  Target-less files
> and top-level tasks start to move Ant into the realm of scripting language

I'm not sure I understand where do you find a relation between top-level
tasks and scripting language. Maybe they have some relation with the
global warming - but not scripting.

> 2. I don't buy the "removing the target requirement makes it easier for
> newbies" argument.  Targets aren't too difficult to figure out and are one
> of the basic constructs within a build system (which, for this argument, I'm
> assuming Ant still is.)  You're not doing newbies any favors by allowing
> them to ignore targets.  There is nothing difficult about:

Actually, I don't buy this either - it makes it easier for everyone.
It seems most projects are using <property>, <typedef> at top level,
this is a pretty common style. I find it more intuitive and easier
to read - and I'm not 'newbies'.

As allways, if you don't like it, don't use it - but please don't
try to convince people who like it or need it that they shouldn't
because you don't :-)

> 3. Finally, maybe I missed something, but I don't see any problems these
> suggestions are solving.  Do we want to risk compromising the integrity of
> well-formed Ant build scripts to make a few fringe cases easier?

- it simplifies the model and parsing.
- it eliminates the special treatment of some tasks
- well-formed ant scripts don't change in any way

> I don't mean to upset anybody but Ant is very cool and, so far, very clean
> and focused.  I don't want to see it get mussed up with unnecessary new
> "features".  Perhaps I'm just being too rigorous.

There is no 'new' feature here - tasks were allowed at top level in
previous versions. It just removes an arbitrary restriction.

Costin