ant-dev mailing list archives

From cost...@covalent.net
Subject Re: Splitting up optional.jar
Date Wed, 17 Jul 2002 23:38:52 GMT
On Wed, 17 Jul 2002, Steve Loughran wrote:

> you need to take a quick look at the ant-lib stuff in the proposals dir,
> Jose-Albertos implementation for Ant1.4-1.5. It used an XML descriptor
> because there is more than just tasks in the file, there are datatypes,
> maybe extension elements for <condition>, <ejbjar>, <serverdeploy>,
etc. and
> we need a way to autoregister them all.

I am familiar with ant-lib, and I hope to see it in 1.6.

And I have no problem with using an XML descriptor for things that are
not already well-defined by existing standards  ( like MANIFEST ) or
practices ( like the properties file to define task/class association  ).

> I dont think a properties file, easy to parse as it is, is th right place
> for such complexity

The properties file have a simple and well defined purpose - there
is no extra complexity to add to that.
You can use it in a <taskdef>, and easy and clean.

The MANIFEST should be used for dependencies and all other things that
are clearly defined in the spec, and nothing more.

For any additional things ( docs, URLs, refs, conditions, etc ) we can use
an XML file.

Costin