ant-dev mailing list archives

From cost...@covalent.net
Subject Re: Property stores (was Re: My itches for 1.6)
Date Tue, 16 Jul 2002 17:08:03 GMT
On 16 Jul 2002, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Jul 2002, <costinm@covalent.net> wrote:
>
> > There are few things here. First, I would like to make the
> > properties repository 'pluggable'.
>
> Something like Grant in Commons?

I didn't know about it. Yes, it's similar.

> > If ant is embeded in an application, it should be able to 'see'
> > properties under the control of that application.  It is possible to
> > have the app save all the properties in the project hashtable, but
> > that's not the best solution IMHO.
>
> OK.  You've got convinced me. +1

Ok, 2 +1 is a good start :-)

> > We already allow some scripting, and this can be extended to ${} as
> > well. It is in a way similar with the EL in JSP or velocity.
>
> I'd like to understand what kinds of scripting you want to allow here
> and why you feel it is needed.

The use case I have in mind are the various testing tools built on top
of ant. I agree that's not the 'official' use of ant, but seems pretty
popular.

The XPath or JXPath can help a lot - and provide a much cleaner syntax.

In any case, this doesn't have to be part of the standard ant distribution
- it would probably be better to have the PropertyInterceptors as part of
jxpath, bsf, velocity, etc. We already support some scripting using
bsf tasks - properties would be just make this easier.

In general I think it is much better to use an existing language rather
than doing programming in XML - and since Script is part of the standard
distribution I don't see anything wrong in improving it :-)

Costin