ant-dev mailing list archives

From cost...@covalent.net
Subject Re: Namespaces/SAX2 (was Re: My itches for 1.6)
Date Tue, 16 Jul 2002 16:56:15 GMT
On 16 Jul 2002, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> > I think we should first agree that <test:task> is at least against
> > the recommendations of the XML spec in the last 2-3 years.
>
> True, but as Conor pointed out, people file bug reports because Ant
> doesn't allow -- to appear inside of comments.

With all new specs that we are subjected to every day - I don't think
this is a surprise. However we (should) know the standard :-)

> The problem may become not existant depending on what the SAX2 parser
> is going to do with namespaces (especially if it encounters a
> namespace it doesn't know about).

I think we can have namespace processing turned off by default for
1.6, and just warn whenever a ':' is in an element name.
We'll still use SAX2, and we can start defining the 'meaning' of
the namespace in ant and associate it with antlibs.

It should be possible  to enable ns support and use it - and we should
make clear that in 1.7 the ':' in elements will no longer work.

This is a very reasonable solution IMHO - it gives people enough
time ( between 1.6 and 1.7 ) to learn about ':' ( if not from spec,
at least from the ant warnings :-)

Costin