ant-dev mailing list archives

From cost...@covalent.net
Subject Re: My itches for 1.6
Date Mon, 15 Jul 2002 20:46:18 GMT
On Mon, 15 Jul 2002, Steve Loughran wrote:

> > Catalina is as follows:
> >
> >                       Bootstrap
> >                        System
> >                        Common
> >                       /      \
> >                  Catalina   Shared
> >                            /     \
> >                        Webapp1  Webapp2 ...
> >                          /          /
> >                       Jasper1   Jasper2
> >

> And common/lib is marked as endorsed for java1.4, so you have to add new
> javax. stuff (like jaxrpc.jar) to that lib, rather than in your webapp, just
> to make installing axis harder. I'd hope we dont replicate that problem, if
> we can avoid it.

When I mentioned a tomcat-like hierarchy I certainly didn't meant the
full tree - at least not for 1.6 :-)

There are 2 things in tomcat classloader worth considering for ant:

- the webapp class loader that can use Manifest entries to find
and resolve dependencies, as well as allow 'webapps' to override some
classes ( as required by the servlet2.3 spec - but that can be used
in ant as well).

- a hierarchy that is more flexible than 'all jars in CLASSPATH' -
I think most problems can be solved by just 3 layers ( core,
optional + global taskdefs, taskdefs with specific loader ). If
needed we can also use a separate loader for 'server' ( in our
case ant ). And in time we can enhance it further.

Costin