ant-dev mailing list archives

From cost...@covalent.net
Subject Re: My itches for 1.6
Date Mon, 15 Jul 2002 18:31:39 GMT
On Mon, 15 Jul 2002, Steve Loughran wrote:

> > IMHO the biggest problem at this moment is the fact that optional.jar
> > is loaded in the system class loader. If we fix that, we can easily
> > get junit and all the optional tasks to work without files in ant/lib.
>
> agreed, but note that <style> uses xalan, plus some reflection to get at
> other things. Whever we have reflection we have explicit dependencies on
> external jars.

I don't see any problem here - jaxp will continue to be in the system
loader ( either CLASSPATH or rt.jar for 1.4 ), and will be found via
delegation.

When I talked about 'using a separate loader for the parser' I didn't
meant xerces/xalan would not be available to tasks, but something
like tomcat is doing, let a task use it's favorite parser if he wants,
or provide the default if the task doesn't want a specific parser.
I don't think this is that important for 1.6, my major goal is
to get rid of junit.jar and the other stuff in ant/lib and
CLASSPATH.

Costin