ant-dev mailing list archives

From cost...@covalent.net
Subject RE: Top level tasks
Date Mon, 15 Jul 2002 17:51:40 GMT

Parsing is relatively separated from the rest. The real question is
the execution model.

I see no problem with treating all top level elements as a
'default' target, with all other targets having an implicit
dependency on it. That's actually the way it was implemented
few years ago, before a vote decided to change it ( and
forbid top level tasks ).

There is no problem with ${} substitution either, as it is
delayed to the execution stage. Regarding loops - it is possible
to detect them ( just keep a static execution stack - that can also
be used to report errors in a nice way ).

For things like import we do need some extra API in Project
and changes in ProjectHelper to expose a separate parsing
step and treat the 'top-level' target the same as the other
targets ( i.e. delayed evaluation ). That would actually simplify
the code.

Costin