ant-dev mailing list archives

From cost...@covalent.net
Subject Re: 1.1 compat ( was Re: Death of a mutant ...
Date Fri, 12 Jul 2002 02:55:45 GMT
On Thu, 11 Jul 2002, Curt Arnold wrote:

> >Until recently Kaffe and GCJ didn't support 1.2. Same for
> >important OSes ( like BSD ).
> >And Kaffe and GCJ are important because they actually deliver
> >what Sun promises - the 'run anywhere' part.
> >( including Linux/SPARC,ARM,MIPS, BSD/all kind of processors, etc ).

> Don't forget the Microsoft J++ and J# implementations which are stuck in
> the JDK 1.1 timewarp.  Ant does run last time I checked with the
> Microsoft VM, but I haven't tried building with J#.  JDK 1.1 support
> avoids having somebody splitting off a Ant wannabe in C#.

Well, as someone said - supporting an 'outdated environment' like
Microsoft and .net is not my concern :-)

> I wouldn't drop JDK 1.1 support for unless there was a desirable,
> significant contribution that would be substantially complicated by
> striving for JDK 1.1 compatibility.

One of the things I hope to see in 1.6 is some classloader improvements,
maybe something like the hierarchy used in tomcat.
And that could be simplified by using JDK1.2.

It seems many commiters feel supporting JDK1.1 is no longer necesary
and having ant1.5 the last one supporting it is reasonable. All it
takes is a vote.

I personally prefer keeping JDK1.1 support - we still do it in tomcat3.3
and I don't think it is that difficult ( and it has the benefit of
including the largest set of platforms/people ).

Costin