ant-dev mailing list archives

From cost...@covalent.net
Subject 1.1 compat ( was Re: Death of a mutant ...
Date Thu, 11 Jul 2002 23:53:24 GMT
As I said, I won't vote against stoping support for JDK1.1 for
ant1.6 - as long as the interfaces remain compatible ( well, for
backward compat the existing interfaces can't change anyway ).

My real concern is not the Sun JDK1.1, which is of historic interest.

Until recently Kaffe and GCJ didn't support 1.2. Same for
important OSes ( like BSD ).
And Kaffe and GCJ are important because they actually deliver
what Sun promises - the 'run anywhere' part.
( including Linux/SPARC,ARM,MIPS, BSD/all kind of processors, etc ).

Now the 'classpath' project ( the free implementation of
the rt.jar used by most open source VMs ) supports most of the 1.2.

Costin