ant-dev mailing list archives

From cost...@covalent.net
Subject Re: Ant 2 et al.
Date Mon, 08 Jul 2002 16:47:28 GMT
On Mon, 8 Jul 2002, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> >>Possible in myrmidon but will never be possible in ant1.x due to backwards
> >>compatability.
> >

> > What has 'backward compatibility' to do with that ?
> >
> > I actually have a working ProjectHelperImpl for ant1 that supports
> > expersions in ${properties}, using ${lang:expression} style ( lang: is
> > used to locate the evaluator ). I'm trying to integrate JXPath and few
> > other EL.
> >
> > The only possible problem may be that someone may have a build file
> > with a variable with that name. However the 'dynamic' properties will
> > be enabled only by setting a magic property, so the impact is absolutely
> > zero.
>
> Cool! :-)
>
> Keep us informed :-)
>
> If you get this out soon Ant 1.6 will have imports, antlibs,
> expressions! :-D

Antlib and imports can also be done using ProjectHelper hooks - and
all that should work fine with ant1.5 ( at least that's my target ).

The actual implementation is trivial ( ProjectHelper reads the XML and
calls the ${} substitution ) - finding a good way to plug different evaluators
and more important a good story for namespaces is the bigger problem.

( and of course, finding time ).

The code is already checked in proposals/sandbox/embed, look at
RuntimeConfigurable2.  ( most of the changes are to support sax2
attributes, the actual 'dynamic properties' is just the last
method - I'm still working on the plugin mechanism ).

Costin