ant-dev mailing list archives

From cost...@covalent.net
Subject Re: [warning inflammatory email] Stagn-ant?
Date Mon, 08 Jul 2002 14:43:44 GMT
On Mon, 8 Jul 2002, Conor MacNeill wrote:

> > For example, for a 'build' tool, having your top level
> > element as 'project' is an unusual choice.
>
> A rose by any other name ...

For the record, the current ant with a custom ProjectHelper will allow
you to name the elements however you want and add any kind of expression
language.

This is an incremental feature, and I don't see any technical reason for
not having it in ant1.6 ( excepting politics ).

There are already few good ways to use namespaces to modularize the xml
( including automatic task definitions using ns, etc ) - most will
probably stay experiments until they mature, but that's a good thing.

> > This is not a wholesale swipe @ the current Ant team. I think they do a
> > fantastic job. And I love Ant....
> >
> > I realise a lot of this has been said already, but it's been a long time
> > since Ant2 has been mentioned seriously, and I personally feel that Ant
> > itself has stagnated, and needs something/someone to poke an iron into the
> > ashes to see if there's any fire left.

I don't have any itch with ant1 - and I don't know any issue in ant1 that
can't be resolved. The core is reasonably simple ( and there's no sign an
ant2 will make it simpler, quite the contrary ).

ant2.0 will come after ant1.9, and so far the diff between 1.4 and 1.5
doesn't sugest any 'stagnation', quite the contrary.

Costin