ant-dev mailing list archives

From d...@multitask.com.au
Subject Re: Death of a mutant ...
Date Thu, 11 Jul 2002 06:06:51 GMT
costinm@covalent.net wrote on 07/11/2002 03:14:26 PM:

> Conor,
>
> I don't know if you noticed - I am pretty stubborn and I like to
> fight when I think I'm right and is worth it. That doesn't mean
> I am right, or that other people have the same opinion with me- quite
> the contrary, most of the times the majority has a different
> opinion.
>
> I don't agree with blocking the development of ant1 or with
> going with a different codebase at this moment - but that
> means one vote only ( and probably a lot more arguments :-).
I'm not for blocking the development of Ant 1, but for putting it into
maintenance mode, and going forward with a newer cleaner Ant 2.

> I think ant2 is not very far away - and I hope it'll have
> in it elements from both mutant and myrmidon, together with
> the stability and simplicity ( and full API support )of the original
> codebase.
Mumble...simplicity....mumble....

> All that's missing for ant2 is getting the 2 proposals incorporated
> into the main codebase - and few more ant1.x releases to mix it
> well :-)
>
> I do hope you'll reconsider removing mutant - and instead try to
> get it in the main tree - but in smaller chunks that everyone can
> handle ( and hopefully myrmidon will do the same ).
What would you propose would be the first chunk to port across. Mine would
be the core processing :)

Seriously, for this to happen, there needs to be some agreement on
creating a new cvs fork for Ant 2 and moving ahead, as I can't see how to
do this without breaking Ant for a short while. And we'd need to pick one
of the two proposals to be the base....

--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au