ant-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Siri <as...@printcafe.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] target-less build files
Date Mon, 22 Jul 2002 14:57:55 GMT
Yeah, I started thinking more about it and changed my mind (or, at least
thought about taking things in a different direction).  The people on this
list are right, it isn't very consistent to allow a few tasks at the top
level and not the others.  I responded by suggesting we allow <target>s
within <target>s and removing (or deprecating) the idea of <project> - it
would turn into a <target> itself.  That way there really wouldn't be the
target-less build scripts.  The script itself is one big target.

This could also lead to some interesting ways of including other build
files.  You could imagine a build script that looks like:

unittest.xml:
<target name="unitTest" default="unitTestMsg">
	<anInitTask/>
	<anotherInitTask/>
	<target="unitTestMsg>
		<junit/>
	</target>
</target>

build.xml:
<target name="main" default="someOtherTarget">
	<target ref="unittest.xml" target="unitTest"/> <!-- in-place
includes the unitTest target into this file -->

	<target name="someOtherTarget" depends="unitTest">
		<sendEmailIfTargetSucceedsTask/>
	</target>
</target>

Also, like I said before, a few things may have to be worked out, but I
think it could be made backwards compatible.

But I'm sure all of this stuff has been suggested before.

-Aaron