ant-dev mailing list archives

From Dominique Devienne <DDevie...@lgc.com>
Subject RE: Vetoes are void? was Re: [VOTE] target-less build files - cou nting results
Date Thu, 25 Jul 2002 19:35:31 GMT
And this gives the opportunity to someone writing a checkstyle-equivalent
for Ant build files, with messages like this:

Warning:16: Use of top-level task after the first target
Warning: To many calls to <antcall>
Warning: ...

And a jalopy-like reformatter too ;-)

;-) --DD

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephane Bailliez [mailto:sbailliez@apache.org]
Sent: Thursday, July 25, 2002 2:31 PM
To: Ant Developers List
Subject: Re: Vetoes are void? was Re: [VOTE] target-less build files -
counting results

----- Original Message -----
From: "Patrick (Gus) Heck" <patrick.heck@olin.edu>

> In fact a colleague of mine just ran into exactly this type of java file
> (written by someone else) in some code he is working with. Scary but
> there are people out there who do scary things!

There is nothing scary, you can have a complex initialization part of the
static block like you could compute a table, precompile regex or whatever.

The huge difference is this case is as mentionned by Nikola that the code is
structured and inside a static block it's not everywhere between the methods
with no block nor anything.

If there is a target less build file I would be in favor of forcing order
and put all elements before <target>, but then again this would break
backward compatibility. I can't even think of an initialization stuff that
will be triggered at the startup but spreaded all over the build file: top ,
in between, bottom. Food for nightmare build file but then again it might be
a still issue and the one writing this should be shot.

Stephane