ant-dev mailing list archives

From Dominique Devienne <DDevie...@lgc.com>
Subject RE: Why stop at JDK1.2? Only semi-serious question...
Date Mon, 15 Jul 2002 16:50:37 GMT
Maybe it's a hack, but surely no worse than:

#ifdef RELEASE
#define ASSERT(fact)
#else
#define ASSERT(fact) _assert(fact,_FILE_,_LINE _)
#endif

As far as using BCEL, sure... But at install time or runtime? If at runtime,
what's the overhead? And leaving the asserts in the bytecode doesn't enable
them: One still needs -ea on the Java command line (or similar construct
programmically), maybe restricting the assertions in actual Ant code
(restricted to org.apache.tools.ant packages).

--DD

-----Original Message-----
From: Jon Skeet [mailto:jon.skeet@peramon.com]
Sent: Monday, July 15, 2002 11:40 AM
To: Ant Developers List
Subject: RE: Why stop at JDK1.2? Only semi-serious question...

> You can still emulate this by wrapping all your assert's in an
>
> if (RELEASE) {
>   assert ...;
> }
>
> with RELEASE a static final boolean... --DD

Yeah, but that's just a horrible hack, IMO - and indeed in a lot of cases
you *do* still want to be able to enable assertions where they're available,
even in released kits.

I'm investigating BCEL for the assertion stripping - it looks like it could
actually be very simple. It may or may not be useful for Ant, but I'm sure
I'll find a use for it at some stage :)

Jon