ant-dev mailing list archives

From Dominique Devienne <DDevie...@lgc.com>
Subject RE: [warning inflammatory email] Stagn-ant?
Date Mon, 08 Jul 2002 17:07:32 GMT
I don't get the JDK 1.1 compatibility. If you use an antiquated VM, then use
an older version of Ant that supports it, and let everyone else move on with
the latest code. That lets you build as you do today, albeit with a
different Ant version (on old frozen one). If major bug fixes are necessary,
then branch the tree and fix them, either in your own CVS tree that imports
the official one or the official one directly.

But in case 1.1 compatibility goes on for the latest Ant (be it 1.x or 2.x
based), then I agree than *not* using introspection is the way to go. --DD

-----Original Message-----
From: costinm@covalent.net [mailto:costinm@covalent.net]
Sent: Monday, July 08, 2002 11:56 AM
To: Ant Developers List
Subject: RE: [warning inflammatory email] Stagn-ant?

On Mon, 8 Jul 2002, Jon Skeet wrote:

> > I don't have any itch with ant1 - and I don't know any issue
> > in ant1 that can't be resolved. The core is reasonably simple ( and
> > there's no sign an ant2 will make it simpler, quite the contrary ).
>
> Not sure I agree with that. There's one itch which Ant2 could scratch,
> and that's finally ditching 1.1-compatibility. Admittedly there will
> still be bits which need different versions of code for different
> versions of Java, but I suspect they'll be greatly reduced. We can start
> using the container classes properly too :)

I'm not sure 'ditching 1.1 compatibility' would be a step forward.

Having at least the basic functionality available in 1.1 is
important - I'm ok if some tasks or features will not be available,
but at least compiling and the basic stuff is important.

I have a zaurus running j2me, and GCJ is not yet fully 1.2 -
those are important targets for me.

There are good ways to clean up the code and make support for 1.1
easier - at least what tomcat 3.3 does is reasonably clean, and
no introspection is required. The curent ant core is reasonably
small, and most tasks won't care.

( of course, few other projects still list JDK1.1
as supported, and I think beeing able to build jakarta projects
with ant2 is quite important :-)

Costin