ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jon Skeet" <jon.sk...@peramon.com>
Subject RE: Why stop at JDK1.2? Only semi-serious question...
Date Sun, 14 Jul 2002 07:38:38 GMT
> At 08:15 AM 7/14/2002 +0100, you wrote:
> >I wonder how hard it would be to write a byte-code assertion
> stripper,
> >which took classes generated with 1.4, retargetted the
> version number to
> >1.2 and stripped out assertions...
>
> Doable, but some compilers still no support asserts. Does jikes yet?

Apparently so - as of last Wednesday!

Again, it's a case of how many people want to use Ant vs how many people want to build Ant.
Hard to find those numbers out, unfortunately...

Out of interest, how many other vaguely popular compilers are there? There's gcj which I wouldn't
expect to support assertions yet (although I haven't checked), jikes and javac. Various IDEs
have their own compilers, but I suspect most non-Ant-developers don't use IDEs to build Ant
anyway (it gets tricky pretty quickly unless you're happy to either download *lots* of libraries
or delete whole swathes of source for optional tasks).

Jon