ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jon Skeet" <jon.sk...@peramon.com>
Subject RE: Why stop at JDK1.2? Only semi-serious question...
Date Sat, 13 Jul 2002 22:27:43 GMT
>     By the same philosophy, why not just move to JDK 1.4?  You can
> always just set a JVM version target when compiling source, so by not
> moving to 1.4 you're merely missing the bug fixes and enhancements.

No - you're preventing people from using the numerous platforms which don't have 1.4 but *do*
have 1.3. Note that we're not talking about suggesting that people don't run Ant on 1.4 -
we're just talking about not *requiring* them to run 1.4.

>  Plus, the impression I've always been getting from 1.3.x has
> been that its buggier than both 1.2.x and 1.4... could be my imagination
> though.

Interesting - I've always found 1.3.1 to be more stable than either 1.2.x or 1.4, myself.
<shrugs>

Jon