ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jon Skeet" <jon.sk...@peramon.com>
Subject RE: [warning inflammatory email] Stagn-ant?
Date Mon, 08 Jul 2002 14:50:52 GMT
> I don't have any itch with ant1 - and I don't know any issue
> in ant1 that can't be resolved. The core is reasonably simple ( and
> there's no sign an ant2 will make it simpler, quite the contrary ).

Not sure I agree with that. There's one itch which Ant2 could scratch, and that's finally
ditching 1.1-compatibility. Admittedly there will still be bits which need different versions
of code for different versions of Java, but I suspect they'll be greatly reduced. We can start
using the container classes properly too :)

For me, moving to Java2 and getting rid of as many historical artifacts as possible (even
if it's only by providing a tool to get rid of them) would be a good thing.

Erik and Steve's book has quite a few sections which are related to this kind of thing...

Jon