ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jon Skeet" <jon.sk...@peramon.com>
Subject Odd JavaDoc output
Date Tue, 23 Jul 2002 14:38:09 GMT
Anyone else seen any JavaDoc output (warnings in particular) with lines
coming out in the wrong order? I'm building the JavaDoc for Ant itself,
and I often get bits in the log such as:

  [javadoc] Generating
C:\docs\workspaces\ant\jakarta-ant\build\javadocs\org\apache\tools\ant\t
askdefs\SQLExec.html...
++[javadoc] "Set the delimiter that separates SQL statements;
  [javadoc]  optional, default &quot;;&quot;

  [javadoc]  "
**[javadoc]
C:\docs\workspaces\ant\jakarta-ant\src\main\org\apache\tools\ant\taskdef
s\SQLExec.java:256: warning - The first sentence is interpreted to be:
  [javadoc] This sentence is different from what would be generated
using -breakiterator:
  [javadoc] "Set the delimiter that separates SQL statements;
  [javadoc]  optional, default &quot;;&quot;

  [javadoc]  <p>For example, set this to "go" and delimitertype to "ROW"
for
  [javadoc]  Sybase ASE or MS SQL Server."

(The ** and ++ have been added by me.)

I believe it's because JavaDoc bizarrely decides to put some stuff into
stderr and some other stuff in stdout - in that if I run something
manually and redirect stdout away, I get:

C:\docs\workspaces\ant\jakarta-ant\src\main\org\apache\tools\ant\filters
\StripJavaComments.java:75: warning - The first sentence is interpreted
to be:
C:\docs\workspaces\ant\jakarta-ant\src\main\org\apache\tools\ant\filters
\StripJavaComments.java:75: warning - The first sentence is interpreted
to be:

(but not the actual sentences).

a) Is there any way of sorting this out within Ant itself? (I suspect
not - using 2 streams and expecting them to come out perfectly
interleaved is a bit of a joke.)

b) Is there an option in JavaDoc anywhere to get it to put everything
out on stdout?

c) Any other ideas?

If necessary, I guess we can just live with it...

Jon