ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: My itches for 1.6
Date Sat, 13 Jul 2002 10:16:12 GMT
At 03:01 PM 7/12/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>Not sure I understand what will brake. I'm not talking about putting
>ant implementation in a separate loader, like tomcat does - just
>have a small Bootstrap that creates an AntClassLoader and puts
>everything in lib/ in it ( like the shell is doing ).

The sheel places them in the system classloader and thus a classloader like

new URLClassLoader( new URL[] { myFile.toURL() } );

include the ant classes (as they are in system classloader).

>It is possible to put some jars in CLASSPATH ( like they were before )
>if needed.

The problem is that we have to place everything that currently exists in
ant in the system classloader if we want to maintain backwards
compatability. For future things we could create subclassloaders maybe.

Obviously if Gump brakes - I'll try to find another solution, but
>Class.forName and creating a class loader using the current loader as
>parent will continue to work.

Gump will not break even if we did do this as it puts everything on the
system classloader.

Cheers,

Peter Donald
everyone gets busy on the proof."