ant-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com>
Subject Re: Backwards compatability?
Date Thu, 25 Jul 2002 18:51:05 GMT
At 06:27 PM 7/21/2002 -0700, costinm@covalent.net wrote:

>And what makes you think that after ant2 there will be no change and it'll
>be the perfect system ?

Straw man. Of course I think no such thing. I'm just talking about
minimizing the changes by getting as many as we can foresee being needed
out of the way all at once. Let's keep the number of times the user has to
revisit the file as low as possible, even while acknowledging that getting
it down to 1 is impossible (and 0 is undesirable).

>My mistake - what I meant is: "one of my main goals will be to preserve
>reasonable backward compatibility".

Thanks, that's clearer for me.

>There are many important goals - and I think most of them can be achieved
>without braking backward compat.

Agreed. It is the ones that can't that are the issue.