ant-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com>
Subject Re: Backwards compatability?
Date Sun, 21 Jul 2002 20:33:58 GMT
At 09:27 AM 7/20/02 -0700, costinm@covalent.net wrote:

>I partially agree with 'versioning', but the main goal should be to
>preserve backward compatibility and use versioning only when there's
>no way to keep backward compat.

I have to take issue with stating that the main goal should be backwards
compatibility. I agree that it should be for Ant 1, but for Ant 2 the main
goal is providing the best build system that has the best usability.
Backwards compatibility is still important, but it takes a back seat to
those other goals. That's why Ant 2 is necessary.

I think Peter's complaint about constantly revamping his build files nicely
illustrates why the incremental approach to change that you are advocating
is the wrong one here. I think we should make as many changes at once as we
can see are needed so that users aren't continually suffering compatibility
breaks.

I'm confused by your last clause, though. If "the main goal should be to
preserve backward compatibility", then why would the situation arise that
"there's no way to keep backward compat"? The goal you have defined has cut
that option off, hasn't it? Are you saying that there ARE goals that are
more important than backwards compatibility?