ant-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com>
Subject CVS Changelogs (was: Problems with EJBC)
Date Sat, 13 Jul 2002 19:38:58 GMT
At 07:58 PM 7/12/02 -0700, Diane Holt wrote:

>What
>I'd really be interested in, though, is a way to get CVS to give me the
>list of files that were included in a commit.

Well, you could use Karl Fogel's cvs2cl (http://www.red-bean.com/cvs2cl/).
Karl is one of the Subversion developers, and similar stuff is in the
cvs2svn.py script. Basically it goes through all the log messages and tries
to recreate what was in the original commit.

Trouble is, CVS does not do atomic commits so this is done heuristically.
It finds changes with the same log message that have similar times. It also
tries to provide minimal changeset support by grouping closely timed
commits from the same author even if they have different log messages.

If you have control of the CVSROOT admin files you can identify all the
files within a commit by working on the log_accum/commit_prep scripts in
CVS (http://ccvs.cvshome.org/source/browse/ccvs/contrib/) or you could use
activitymail from CPAN
(http://www.cpan.org/modules/by-authors/id/D/DW/DWHEELER/activitymail/). I
believe they both support writing the commit information to a changelog,
though I used them for commit emails.

>(I'd be even happier if open
>source projects moved away from using CVS as the SCM tool, but that
>doesn't seem likely to happen anytime soon, so it'd at least make it a bit
>more usable if I could get the above somehow.)

Subversion should be releasing an alpha version in the next couple of days,
and the 1.0 release shouldn't be too many months after that. And there have
been a few open source projects that have said they plan to move to
Subversion once it is released. I don't think it will happen overnight, but
after a couple of years I'm hoping the number of open source Subversion
repositories will surprise everyone.