ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Embed Sandbox Proposal: HOWTO?
Date Fri, 26 Jul 2002 15:01:34 GMT

costinm@covalent.net wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Jul 2002, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>

>>Unfortunately, I'm used to the original ProjectHelper, and looking at
>>the "embed" code I find mysel disoriented.
>>
>>- What are all the new features it supports?
>

> - top level tasks
> - uses SAX2
> - stateless handlers ( i.e. all 'state' is in AntContext, all handlers
> are singletons ).
> - automatically replaces ProjectHelper using the discovery ( i.e. just
> place ant-sax2.jar in lib, and ProjectHelper2 will be used )
> - uses PropertyInterceptor ( if any registered ) before looking in the
> properties hashtable
> - import via Import task
> - <systemPath> allows you to add dynamically a <path> to ant/lib
> ( like junit.jar ) and make optional tasks work with this one.

hey, this is cool :-)
Put this in the README of EMBED, you have already written it now :-)

>>- Basically, how does it work?
>

> Just like the old one :-) I just did a bit of refactoring to
> make it stateless ( no for performance, but because I think it
> is much easier to have access to the whole state - including
> element stack, file stack, etc )

Waiting for your answer I have understood the ProjectHelper2, although
the delayed stuff is still a bit strange, but cool ;-S

>>- How to use it in buildfiles - ie please add example buildfiles
>
> What do you mean ?
>
> So far it builds the same files as gump ( i.e. with ProjectHelper2
> I build the same set of projects as normal ant ).
>
> I'll add a sample for import and systemPath, and soon a BSF and JXPath
> hook.

Ah, ok, I was thinking of this.

>>- What needs to be done to /finish/ it?
>

>>From my point of view ProjectHelper2 it's almost done, just minor
> cleanups, samples/docs and that's it. I don't expect much change to
> the code.

I also think so :-)

But... I have a problem.
Antcall doesn't work if I call a target of an imported file from a task
   in the imported file itself :-/

> The dynamic properties are 'plugged' by regular tasks

This is what I don't understand well.
Has it to do with PropertyInterceptor?
Could you show me how it's supposed to work?

> - and
> import is also a regular task, etc.

Although you left the renaming code in the ProjectHelper2...

> I am trying to elminate the special treatment of DataTypes/Tasks -
> there is some complexity there that I feel can be eliminated, but
> not sure how to do it without braking something.
>
>>I really would love to be able to use the hinted Xpath-capable XMLProperty.
>
> Give me few more days for this one.

I wanted to help you do it, but I also have to get ready for my vacation
tomorrow, so I just might have time to take a look and think of it while
on the beach next week :-D

             - verba volant, scripta manent -