ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Patrick (Gus) Heck" <patrick.h...@olin.edu>
Subject Buildfile Organization (was: Problems with <import>)
Date Thu, 25 Jul 2002 19:14:31 GMT

Diane Holt wrote:

> --- "Patrick (Gus) Heck" <patrick.heck@olin.edu> wrote:
> > Yes, but like most style issues [...]
>
> Right -- it's a style issue. Case closed.

Closed if style should never be enforced (converted to syntax) to
enhance the usability of the product...

That of course was the very point in question. If we do this now, before
a release with all tasks available at the top level, we only need to
provided a very small number of back compatible deprecated exceptions to
the new syntax (property, taskdef, typedef). If we don't do it now, we
will be forced to completely break build files to put it in later.

So the question of whether or not it would be good to tighten the syntax
of the build file to enforce separation of top level tasks which are
always executed and targets which may not be executed is important to
consider now. Specifically, require that top level tasks come before all
instances of <target />.

I would actually advocate that some commiter start a vote so it is
something that was clearly decided rather than something that never
really got considered until too late. I expect you will vote against it,
but it doesn't take a unanimous decision.

Gus