ant-dev mailing list archives

From Craeg Strong <cstr...@arielpartners.com>
Subject Re: what I want to see in the next version of ant
Date Tue, 23 Jul 2002 21:47:33 GMT
Hello:

I think everyone has made some good points.   It seems to me that the
best way to move
forward is to create a seperate CVS area for Ant 2 efforts.   I think
there is absolutely
nothing wrong with "a lot of people's favorite small addition to 1.x"
and I think that should
continue (subject to previously mentioned guidelines) in the 1.x CVS area.

Meanwhile, work can begin in a SEPARATE area on Ant 2.   I'm also not
terribly concerned
with what gets imported as the base for the Ant 2 effort, because I am
quite sure that it will
get "refactored mercilessly" multiple times before Ant 2 is anywhere
close its first public
release.  Such refactorings would never be possible in the 1.x code
base, and that is (part of)
the point.  It seems that the majority of people on the list want to
start (ant2) with some
snapshot of the 1.x base code, rather than a proposal.  Fine.

My main point is, can we pleeze establish a _separate_  ant2 CVS area so
we can get moving
on this?  I would even go further-- we should create an ant2-dev mailing
list so that ant2 discussions
can be had separately from the folks who want to proceed with their
"favorite small addition to 1.x"
Of course, many, or perhaps most developers will want to subscribe to
_both_ ant-dev and ant2-dev,
but it will allow developers to be more selective about the email
traffic they receive... (hint hint)

Again, I stress that this model has been used quite successfully on many
open source projects.
I believe they call it an "internal fork"?  Natural and normal for a
project in Ant's stage of development...

$0.02,

--Craeg