ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Patrick (Gus) Heck" <patrick.h...@olin.edu>
Subject Re: [VOTE] target-less build files
Date Mon, 22 Jul 2002 21:09:18 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> > I think we should consider requiring that all non-target tasks occur
> > before the first <target/>.
>
> Remember that <property> is a task.  I agree with you that it would be
> a lot cleaner to require this, but it sure would break a lot of build
> files if we didn't allow <property> to be used between targets (I'm
> sure there are enough examples of build files that do just that).
>
> > So we would probably need to make exceptions for taskdef, property,
> > and typedef because they are already allowed anywhere,
>
> One of the main reasons for top-level tasks was to remove exceptions 8-)

Well yes, but what is better... a couple of exceptions here and good
structure, or non-structure without exceptions. The exceptions can be
depricated to be removed in the future, possibly with a warning message
to niggle people into mopping things up when they have some time. Kinda
like deprecated methods in java. The mop up would only be cut and paste
anyway, so people might even do it :).

Gus