ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] target-less build files (plus a new proposal)
Date Sun, 21 Jul 2002 20:31:37 GMT

costinm@covalent.net wrote:
> On Sun, 19 May 2002, Ara Abrahamian wrote:
>

>>It's like a book without chapters :-) Boring, non-modular.
>
> Maybe it's a short article - direct and on the subject.
>
> You don't need 100 page book with chapters, appendix, eratta
>  to compile 2 java files.

Nonsense

<project>
  <init>
   <doit/>
   <doitagain/>
  </init>
</project>

<project>
   <doit/>
   <doitagain/>
</project>

Tell me why the first is a 100 page book and the second a short article.

Nonsense.

We need to have stuff run before every build and after every build.
If you really are bothered by the latter, use the former, but let's get
over with it.

>>I really don't find a target-less build file useful. Ant's build files
>
> What I fail to understand is why people who don't find something useful
> for themself assume that nobody will need them and can be removed.

Look, it's not a matter of features, but a matter of semantics.

> Or why people assume what they like is 'good practice' and what
> other people like is 'bad practice'.

It's just more clear.

> Nicola spends more time trying to deprecate top-level targets then he
> spends trying to get <init>.

Because with top-level tasks <init> is not needed.
They are the *same* thing.

I'm just saying that putting all top-level stuff inside an <init> tag is
cleaner, etc, blah blah blah.

But I honestly don't care, if you really *hate* having to put them
inside another tag put them top level, no problem.
Just see if you can get the -1s away; I'm not a committer, and I would
vote -0.

Other committers are -1, and I tried to get to a compromise (init) that
*could* have made things work for all.
If you are so stiff, go ahead, but you're not getting collaboration from
other committers.

Good luck.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -