ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Problems with <import>
Date Sat, 20 Jul 2002 09:51:32 GMT

J.Pietschmann wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>> The fact is that we need to be able to run *any* task at init.
>> There are two options:
>>
>> 1) make all tasks runnable top-level
>> 2) deprecate using top-level tasks and add an <init> tag
>>

> Why does everything have to be a task? I'd rather think
> property and filesets to be as definitions with some
> sort of scope.

Conceptually I agree.

> IMO an init task is redundant, because you can always have
> an init target.

And put depends="init" to every single target?
I want to tell the build system that *all* targets need to have init run
before, in an AOP manner.

Doing it by hand has the same result, but not the same meaning, and I
can overlook doing it too.

It also has relevance when importing, if the imported buildfile wants to
enforce some things to be run always: for proper hiding, I shouldn't
have to write depends="super.init".

> A destroy task is another matter, though
> I'd rather think of defining "error handling targets"

Good suggestion. Error handling should be done somewhere between these
lines.

>which
> may include the possibility to define a target which is
> always called on exit.

Here it's the same as with <init>, I want the possibility of having
*all* targets have that one called after, instead of writing every each
single time which is a major PITA.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -