ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Problems with <import>
Date Sat, 20 Jul 2002 09:10:00 GMT

costinm@covalent.net wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Jul 2002, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>

>>>That's a bit orthogonal - whatever is at top level has allways been
>>>executed before anything else.
>>>
>>>If we add explicit init/destroy - different issue.
>>
>>?
>>
>>I mean that it's sensible to deprecate IMHO amy top-level task being
>>run, and have them in <init>.
>

> What do you mean "it's sensible to deprecate top-level tasks" ???
>
> It cetainly isn't - this is how many people like to use ant, this is how
> ant allways worked - and if you don't want to use top-level, just don't.
> It is very insensitive to deprecate things that other like just because
> you don't ( or think others are stupid and you know the 'right way' ).
> Especially when you can do things your way, and deprecating won't
> allow the other people to do things their way.

I said "deprecate", not "remove".

>>Which completely hides the semantics, since "destroy" is not
>>conceptually what we want to run.
>

> I see no problem with adding a 'destroy' tag - as new functionality.

Good :-)

> For 'init' - there is already a way to do what you want.

In 1.5? I can run *any* top-level task?

> (I wouldn't use 'destroy' name for many reasons - especially in
> a build file )

np, I really can't find the right word, I don't like "destroy" either,
suggestions welcome :-)

>>>In your sample build.xml, mb2 depends on super.mb2. What does it
>>>means ???
>>
>>in java:
>>
>>class mybuild extends mybuild2
>

> I'm more confused here - extend and import are very different
> things. I don't mind an 'extend' ( especially if you can extend
> only one class ), but for 'import' you may have multiple
> imports - and most people would be confused if import would
> behave as extend ( I am ).

Well, XSL works like this.
With import, you don't extend a project, but override targets/templates.
In Java you cannot without extending the class, please look at the XSL
spec for <include> and <import> to understand what I mean.

>>>Finding the right hooks is the only problem, I don't want to
>>>expose too much SAX.
>>
>>In which sense it may be a problem?
>

> Well, tasks like 'import' or 'depend' ( or others - antlib
> may need that, etc)  that operate on  the project structure shouldn't
> 'see' SAX. The current model of adding code to ProjectHelperImpl is
> not very good IMHO - ant should work without any XML involved
> ( embeded for example ). I don't want to hook Import using SAX.

Ah, ok. +1

             - verba volant, scripta manent -