ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ant 2 et al.
Date Fri, 12 Jul 2002 08:35:41 GMT

Ara Abrahamian wrote:
> What about this:
>
> <import name="webapp-reusable-targets" file="commonwebappproject.xml"/>
>
> <target name="jar" overrides-target-of="webapp-reusable-targets">
>
> I also like the idea of pre/post targets for targets and tasks, behaves
> like extensions points (aspectj style) rather than overriding this way:
>
> <target name="webdoclet-war" pre="web-war">
> 	<webdoclet ... />
>
> <target name="post-webdoclet-war" pre="web-war">
> 	<echo>it tooks x seconds to run web-war</echo>
>
> Let us import other build files, point to and depend to targets defined
> there, override targets and pre/post targets/tasks and you really can
> write reusable reusable build file pieces.

>>>From: "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <nicolaken@apache.org>
>>it hides what is happening and can bring to subtle errors.

Currently the import patch makes you do the above like this (at least
this is what makes sense to me):

  <target name="web-war">
    <webdoclet ... />
    <antcall target="super.web-war">
    <echo>it tooks x seconds to run web-war</echo>
   </target>

This is cleaner and gives you more control IMNSHO.

In fact, in your above code, it seems that you have made an error in
defining the pres and posts ;-)

  <target name="post-webdoclet-war" pre="web-war">
  	<echo>it tooks x seconds to run web-war</echo>

You are saying how much time it took to run web-war after webdoclet-war
(post-webdoclet-war) but before web-war (pre="web-war").

  <target name="web-war">
    <webdoclet ... />
    <echo>it tooks x seconds to run web-war</echo>
    <antcall target="super.web-war">
   </target>

Or not?

Do you mean that both have to have web-war run before (pre="web-war")
and post-webdoclet-war run after webdoclet-war?

ie:

  <target name="web-war" depends="super.web-war">
    <webdoclet ... />
    <echo>it tooks x seconds to run web-war</echo>
   </target>

See, pres and posts are really confusing, and overriding is much cleaner.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -