ant-dev mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@houston.rr.com>
Subject Re: 1.1 compat ( was Re: Death of a mutant ...
Date Fri, 12 Jul 2002 03:36:17 GMT

>>I wouldn't drop JDK 1.1 support for unless there was a desirable,
>>significant contribution that would be substantially complicated by
>>striving for JDK 1.1 compatibility.
>>

>One of the things I hope to see in 1.6 is some classloader improvements,
>maybe something like the hierarchy used in tomcat.
>And that could be simplified by using JDK1.2.

That could fit my criteria.  It is not dropping JDK 1.1 support without
justification.  However, it would be nice if the JDK 1.2 dependent code
could be isolated, so that you could build an Ant 1.6 for JDK 1.1
(without classloader improvements) or for JDK 1.2+ with all the new
goodies.  However if you were off just making a minimal improvement to
some arbitrary task, you would maintain JDK 1.1 compatibility.

>It seems many commiters feel supporting JDK1.1 is no longer necesary
>and having ant1.5 the last one supporting it is reasonable. All it
>takes is a vote.
>
>I personally prefer keeping JDK1.1 support - we still do it in tomcat3.3
>and I don't think it is that difficult ( and it has the benefit of
>including the largest set of platforms/people ).

I'd still do it on a feature-by-feature basis.  If someone is proposing
something for Ant 1.6, they should make a JDK 1.1 compatibility
statement.  Something like: "No problem maintaining JDK 1.1
compatibility", "JDK 1.1 support would be difficult", "could isolate JDK
1.2 code and offer reduced capability in JDK 1.1 with some additional
effort", "I'm not using your stinking Vector's and Enumeration's, but
you can clean it up if you want".  Then the committers could make a
decision if the contribution is worth the loss of JDK 1.1 compatibility.