ant-dev mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@houston.rr.com>
Subject Re: 1.1 compat ( was Re: Death of a mutant ...
Date Fri, 12 Jul 2002 01:23:36 GMT
costinm@covalent.net wrote:

>As I said, I won't vote against stoping support for JDK1.1 for
>ant1.6 - as long as the interfaces remain compatible ( well, for
>backward compat the existing interfaces can't change anyway ).
>
>My real concern is not the Sun JDK1.1, which is of historic interest.
>
>Until recently Kaffe and GCJ didn't support 1.2. Same for
>important OSes ( like BSD ).
>And Kaffe and GCJ are important because they actually deliver
>what Sun promises - the 'run anywhere' part.
>( including Linux/SPARC,ARM,MIPS, BSD/all kind of processors, etc ).

Don't forget the Microsoft J++ and J# implementations which are stuck in
the JDK 1.1 timewarp.  Ant does run last time I checked with the
Microsoft VM, but I haven't tried building with J#.  JDK 1.1 support
avoids having somebody splitting off a Ant wannabe in C#.

I could see abandoning JDK 1.1 support concurrent with rearchitecting,
but that would imply a major version bump to 2.0 in my mind.

Is there a feature list for Ant 1.6?

I wouldn't drop JDK 1.1 support for unless there was a desirable,
significant contribution that would be substantially complicated by
striving for JDK 1.1 compatibility.