ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Patrick (Gus) Heck" <patrick.h...@olin.edu>
Subject Re: Death of a mutant ...
Date Thu, 11 Jul 2002 21:17:38 GMT

>There is a limit to wrapping. My goal is not to create a wrapper for each
>thing that is worth it and end up with a copy of the JDK 1.2+ in the Ant
>repository. To be clear for reading the implementation version of a package
>I prefer to use the JDK 1.2 method and do it by reflection rather than
>creating hundred lines of code that does the same thing and that wiill be
>used by maybe one lost person with JDK 1.1 among 100,000 users.
>
>As you  agreed earlier, the less code we have the better we feel.
>
>>Well, if everyone else feels 1.1 shouldn't be supported - it only takes
>>a vote to remove that requirement. Even for 1.6 - the commiters set
>>the rules. I won't -1 it.

I have never quite understood the need to make ant run under 1.1. I
certainly think one should be able to write things that target a 1.1
platform, and use ant to build them, but why are we so worried about
allowing people to develop stuff in an outdated environment? Yeah
someone here said their zarus only had 1.1 but is building with ant on a
zarus really valuable, or just kinda neat to do? Wouldn't it be better
to build for the zarus on your dual Athlon MP machine? What environments
don't have a 1.2+ compiler available for people to build thier ant with
that are really important _development_ platforms?

I also have been wondering recently what it is that ant defines as out
of scope. I am currently using it to "build" a website from a cvs
repository on a regular basis. The website has lots of code on it that
also gets built so this is convenient, but I kinda wonder if it isn't
stretching the purpose of Ant.

A specialized tool is usually much more efficient than a generalized
tool, but it does fewer things. Swiss Army knives are really nice when
you don't know what you will need, but a real philips screwdriver, or a
power screwdriver is more efficient for driving philips head screws
because it doesn't try to include can-opener and whittling functionality
too.

Gus