ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: <import> enhancement, it's done, but do you like how it works?
Date Thu, 11 Jul 2002 16:12:25 GMT
Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:
> The fact that it is NOT a string. If you use a string
> you will have to parse the data. What does it happen
> if you have something like:
>
>   <property name="parent" value="super.targetname"/>
>   <antcall target="${parent}"/>
>
> How do you know "parent" needs to be rewritten?

Rewritten? I don't understand...

> On the other hand, you will always rewrite the
> following:
>
>   <property name="parent"
>             value="${ant::super(targetname)"/>
>   <antcall target="${parent}"/>
>
> which it is much more powerful and you are not
> guessing.
>
> By the way, the exact syntax of the property is not
> the point. The important points are:
>
> 1) Make dificult to clash with current buildfiles:
>
>   "ant::"

Instead of super I can use ant::super::targetname or anything else, it's
just an implementation issue.

> 2) Be able to call any overloaded target:
>
>    "super(targetname)"
>
> Then put it all toguether.

Try this, it works:
   <property name="mbextra" value="super.mb2" />
   <!-- redefine mb2 here; dependencies are not inherited but called by
super.mb2 -->
   <target name="mb2" depends="super.mb2">
     <echo message="*Redefined* Sub2 build called /pre/ :-)"/>
     <antcall target="${mbextra}"/>
     <echo message="*Redefined* Sub2 build called /post/ :-)"/>
   </target>

Could you please add snippets that fail to work with current import
proposed implementation, so that I can understand you better right away
and maybe propose a solution?
Thanks :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -