ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Death of a mutant ...
Date Thu, 11 Jul 2002 15:44:22 GMT
Stephane Bailliez wrote:

>>As for JDK1.1 compat - I'm strongly against making the new interfaces
>>require 1.2. There is absolutely no justification. I'm ok with using
>>1.2 in the implementation - since 1.1 implementations will be
>>possible.
>
> I must be missing something.
> How do you plan to make it work in a 1.1 if your implementation is 1.2 ?

On top of that, I recall that you can use Ant in 1.2 to compile code
with javac from 1.1, right?
What's the problem?

> [...]
>
>>I hope everyone realize how many users ant has - I suspect more people
>>use ant than JDK1.4 today. There are huge investments in time and
>>learning, books, etc. If we really want a new API for future
>>- it better be _very_ good.
>

> No one asked for JDK 1.4 so don't extrapolate.
>
> I'm tired of Enumeration, toArray(), Vector/Hashtable, isFile()
> !isDirectory() or use reflection to get some benefits of JDK 1.2 methods if
> available. No need to reinvent and recode what has already been done and
> exists. Why should I need to recode a Manifest class ? unecessary code. We
> have load of unecessary codes like this. Should it be for creating a temp
> file. For copying the content of a vector into an array. etc...

Vector... ugh
I agree with you.

> Switch to JDK 1.2 will only avoid unecessary effort and unecessary checking
> that takes place for little or no benefit. No one force you to upgrade to
> something that requires JDK 1.2. If you are happy with your version and that
> you NEED JDK 1.1, then stick to it. period.

I'm definately for this.

While Java is going towards 1.5 and projects like Avalon are having 1.3
as an implementation requirement, Ant is still in 1.1 ...

Now, if Ant switches to 1.2, JDK 1.1 users can still use 1.5 Ant,
what's the problem?

Sun made Swing workable in 1.1 at first, but then switched to at least
1.2... isn't it ime than new features (Ant's) can be build on new
features (the Jdk's)?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -