ant-dev mailing list archives

From Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject Death of a mutant ...
Date Thu, 11 Jul 2002 03:05:27 GMT
With the recent discussion about Ant2 (thanks to Dion), it has become
clear to me that Ant2 will probably not be realized in my lifetime :-).
The obstacles are legion. To persist with the development of my Mutant
proposal under such circumstances does not make sense to me. I am,
therefore, withdrawing Mutant as an Ant2 proposal.

I will be removing the code and associated pieces soon, although you
will still be able to access them in the CVS Attic (if you don't mind
the dust).

The inability to achieve even limited progress on, what was at the time
at least, the accepted need for rearchitecting is a little disappointing
to me. Improving Ant on the current codebase is not impossible, and it
seems many people believe this is the way to go. I will be interested in
seeing how it progresses. OTOH, I am not interested in carping from the
sidelines and since I believe the current implementation has its flaws,
I do not expect to be very active in these efforts.

If I have caused offence to anyone while arguing the case for change,
then I apologize. To those people who took the time to look at Mutant,
you have my thanks - I hope it was fun :-)

Good Luck.

BTW, if another committer would like to take over management of the Ant
mailing lists, I think that would make sense since I will be taking a
break. Please send an email to apmail@apache.org

Cheers
Conor