ant-dev mailing list archives

From Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject Re: Ant 2 et al.
Date Tue, 09 Jul 2002 23:52:13 GMT
Yyy Xxx wrote:
> I don't see a problem with this specific backward
> compatibility issue.
>
> 1. Non-namespace names like &#34;test:echo&#34; is,
> IMHO, not a common practice.

Common practice is, unfortunately, not the test for backward
compatability. Also backward compatability breaks do occur in Ant1. It
just seems that it is a moveable feast.

> 2. If there were build files like this in the field,
> it would be trivial to fix them.

Tell that to the guy struggling with the arsDigita build files on ant-user.

Most incompatible changes to the build file syntax are trivial to
change, but that does not mean they are acceptable (cf. jarfile->destfile)

> 3. The XML standards warn about using colons in names

How many ant users read the XML standards? :-) I've had people
complaining about Ant's inability to nest <!-- --> style comments.

Conor