ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ant 2 et al.
Date Tue, 09 Jul 2002 12:26:50 GMT

Stephane Bailliez wrote:
> [...]

Lack of developers to take care of it?
It's changing, I'm getting more interested in it, and honestly it does
its job quite well, never had any problems yet.

>>Each project should maintain his own, and JJAR can easily handle it.
>>It just needs someone looking over it, as you say.
>

>>I have made my repo for the krysalis project, and before final
>>release I will make the central JJAR repo reference mine for the
>>krysalis stuff.
>
> So... what does Ant has to do with this jar update ?
> Sure Ant can takes advantage of jjar to update some libraries...but then
> again it needs a central point of information..as we want to push more and
> more tasks outside Ant..obviouslly people will need to provide a fully
> defined ant plugin..it will need to be registered in Ant..and it would need
> to be checked for new version when available. We'll certainly not maintain a
> long list of task at jakarta that are available in '15462 places.

?
20 tasks 20 references.
How many do you want to make as Ant optional?

There is no /need/ to reference others in the central repository.

> Say you have a bare bone Ant freshly downloaded...ok you need to 'download'
> many plugins from many locations. how do you do that ? manually the first
> time ? you modify a repository description of Ant and say 'plugin A,
> http://' 'plugin B, http://", you run Ant with a specific command and go..it
> updates(ie download the first time) every plugin and install them ?

You just say (example):

   ant -repo=http://jakarta.apache.org/ant -plugin=junit -version="1.1"

and it downloads the antlib or whatever.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -