ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ant 2 et al.
Date Tue, 09 Jul 2002 09:03:30 GMT

Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, <dion@multitask.com.au> wrote:
>

>>the tasks that are currently packaged in optional.jar and their
>>external dependencies and reliance on the user setting things up
>>correctly, i.e. jar files in the right place etc.
>
> Will change in some way, I'm sure.
>
>>The tasks should come with their own jars in place,
>
> This is impossible to do for many of our optional tasks as they
> require stuff that we cannot (re)distribute.

Centipede uses JJAR to download from a repo that contains the jars.
Each with its own license.
Ant could have a similar way of getting them when requested, or just
have the projects themselves make a .ant.jar file available for download.

>>or know how to download them if needed.
>
> As long as there is a way to avoid any auto-download so that the task
> uses what I already have on my box, this is fine with me - same goes
> for bundling of dependencies.
>
> I'm always surprised of the result when I do a
> "find ~ -name junit.jar -print | wc -l"
> on my machine 8-)

The only real and easy way to avoid "dll hell" is to have each
project use his own version, it's easier to see...

Like .war archives; they all come with their versions of the libraries,
and this is good, since when Tomcat has classloader problems, apps had a
hard time cooperating.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -