ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ant 2 et al.
Date Tue, 09 Jul 2002 08:54:10 GMT

dion@multitask.com.au wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicolaken@apache.org> wrote on 07/09/2002 06:03:54 PM:
>
> [snip]
>
>>Project means that it's the build project.
>>It's not a project descriptor.
>>The build-project, not the project-descriptor.
>
> The repetition doesn't make it more obvious... 'Build-Project'? I can't
> think of a single time I've heard someone say "I'm just going to update
> the 'build-project' file". Build file, yes. Ant build file, yes. Project
> file - never.

I can agree with you but still disagree.
Is using a main <build> or <ant> element more consistent and
understandable? Yes.
Is it that important? No.
Can it be put in with little effort without breaking backwards compat? Yes
Will existing tools work well with it? No.

Looking at the pros and cons, it's basically a -0 for it.

>>It's all about getting understood.
>>I would just call it <ant> and get along.
>>Besides, it's really easy to make <ant> and <project> both work, so we

>>have new syntax and backward compatibility with really no effort.
>>How's that?
>
> Works for me, but again, this isn't my main point. My main point was to
> try to raise the Ant 2 proposals and see if there was any plan to do
> anything with them, or if they're simply spinning their metaphorical
> wheels.

We are all looking at them for inspiration to make Ant1 better and
waiting for them to ask a vote for the codebase switch.

> So far, it's mainly been "Who needs the proposals? Ant 1 can do
> anything!".

Who needs the proposal implementations?
We can put that stuff in the Ant1 codebase.

> Again, my issue is that there doesn't *seem* to be a drive toward the user
> requirements (http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/ant2/requested-features.html ), other than

> luck...

Not really.
The proposals try to make the requirements real.
Ant1 codebase tries to assimilate as much as possible without snaturating.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -